Transforming acute hip fracture care for older people
An expert working group including clinicians and consumers from across the state has developed a new model of care for the treatment of hip fractures in older South Australians (aged over 65 or aged over 50 and identify as Aboriginal and/or present with other existing geriatric syndromes).
Under the new model of care:
- if you have a hip fracture, you will be directed to a specialist Orthogeriatric Fracture Centre where you will be cared for by specialists who are experts in treating hip fractures
- you will receive timely and effective pain management to ensure you are comfortable throughout your entire journey
- you will receive surgery in a timely manner
- you will be supported to begin rehabilitation as soon as you are ready
- you will be provided with a personalised discharge plan and ongoing support
- you and/or your carers will be regularly consulted by all of your care providers throughout your treatment.
The model of care has been endorsed by the Ministerial Clinical Advisory Group and the Transforming Health Implementation Committee. An implementation working group will be established to undertake detailed implementation planning and lead implementation in the Local Health Networks.
To find out more about the new model of care, view the Consumer Guide (170KB) or watch the video below.Back to projects